Thursday, April 18, 2013

Illusions

This week at Alex and Ani has been all about social media. Getting the Colour of London name out there on people's minds and tongues is our main goal. And social media is our gateway. I have become an administrative manager of their Facebook and Twitter accounts and have been posting on their behalf. The content has been all informational so far, however, it is silly to think how many people read the content thinking it was coming straight from the source, when in reality, it was coming from me. And yes, this is all part of my job title, however, it is quite obvious that I in no way, shape, or form resemble a band member of Colour of London. Once the selfish human characteristics kicked in it got me thinking... I wonder how many posts I have read of people that I follow thinking they were from that person when in reality there is a team behind the screen posting for them through their alias. And if in reality an actual person is posting it, not a scheduled computer mechanism queue set to post at a certain time that was also written by the team; an even further extension from that actual person... I wonder how many words I have read blindly believing they were from that person, how could I be so dumb. How many times I have fallen victim to the deceit? How many small bits of information have I used to build an image of that person in my mind through small pixels of information intending to seem "intimate" or "exclusive" coming straight from their personal account, just to find out that in reality, it is only that; an image- and it stops there. 

Knowing this, it is quite absurd to think how we form such strong opinions about people in the public eye when we do not know them at all! We only know what we have been told, and we cannot even trust that it is coming straight from them when we are told it is. Social media was created for personal expression. We use these sites to validate our personal interests and opinions and long for acceptance and commentary from our following. In actuality, there is a very strong personal reasoning behind why we as human beings use social media sites that stems from our longing for acceptance and acknowledgement from our peers. It gets me so mad to know that the rise of social media is only further developing people's careers that are a part of the fame game, it is all an act. However, when real people post real content and real opinions, it gets criticized, ostracized, and blown up. There is a difference between voicing an opinion and being hurtful, and I cannot stand how mindful we have to be nowadays about our words when it is hindering the thought process as creative individuals. You have to watch every small single thing that you say on the internet because everyone and their grandmother is online able to view it and there is no room for mistakes or flaws, two characteristics that humans are full of. 

I hate what social media has become. I don't even want to be a part of it on my own personal time because the line between business and personal is becoming so blurred. Can I just say that I am sick of being monitored? I cannot be myself on my own Facebook because I literally have to be mindful of the whole world's reaction to it. Any site that I use for my own personal, leisurely use is the farthest distance from being traced back to my physical self but is the closest reflection of my identity, what an oxymoron. Society has once again found it's way to filter and mold me.  

On a lighter note... I love my job and the people I work with. Surprisingly (as the content above displays), I cannot complain.

No comments:

Post a Comment