Wednesday, April 3, 2013

First Week at PopShop



After taking the D&M Visual Merchandising course Winter Quarter, I found a new interest in creating window displays. With the help of 3 other students, we created a Woodland-themed Spring window display for Art Star Boutique and Gallery in Northern Liberties. This project led me to an unexpected and exciting new venture! Two wonderful entrepreneurs from The Wharton School of Business contacted me to be their Visual Merchandising intern. They created their own company, PopShop. The idea of PopShop is to create a short-term physical retail space and window display for online-only companies. The idea of creating displays for pop-up shops intrigued me, and I am happy that I was able to join the PopShop team.

The retail industry is rapidly changing, and brands are changing with it. The pop-up shop model is great for existing stores because it creates press for the retailer with little risk, and gives consumers trust in an online brand by being able to physically touch and feel the product before purchasing. I am excited to be gaining hands-on experience with this developing retail shopping model.

My first major project is already underway! There is a trunk show at Knit Wit in Center City next Wednesday, April 10, from 5 to 8 p.m. The trunk show will exclusively feature online brands MM LaFleaur, Adornia, and Peach and Lily. I am in charge of creating signage outside and in the store, creating interest and intrigue for customers outside and in the store. I am currently creating a Save-the-Date advertisement, posters, and an interesting visual merchandising strategy for the different brands so they can create one cohesive store in the window of Knit Wit.

Anyone is welcome to shop at the Trunk Show next Wednesday night. I look forward to seeing you there!

-Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment