Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Almost at the Finish Line

            In the co-op class you take two terms prior to co-op they give you lots of advice on the application process. For D&M's one thing they advise you to do is to have independent job searches lined up in addition to jobs through the SCDC system. I didn't have a company that I was dying to work for in particular. There were plenty of ideas floating around for an independent job search, but I knew I didn't want to go to NYC which ruled out a lot of the options. I also knew that I planned on staying in Philadelphia because of my apartment lease and figured I would trust Drexel's job options, and if A Round really didn't appeal to me, I always had the option to go the independent job search route.
            In addition to independent job searches, you are allowed to complete two three-month co-op experiences if you wanted to do so. I thought this was a really cool opportunity, but I didn't think it would be such an easy thing to set up on your own. I'm 100% satisfied with my experience at The North Face/Full Circle Group LLC, but I do wonder how my independent job search would have gone if I had taken that route. I really think that Drexel should work on incorporating two-three month co-op opportunities within the SCDC system for D&M students especially. The sky is really the limit when it comes to the fashion world, and the options are endless when it comes to experiencing different brands/companies/places. If I were to have a second co-op, I probably would have had an easier time to doing an independent job search for a company such as 7 For All Mankind Jeans because they are a part of the same VF Corporation umbrella that The North Face falls under. That way, I would be able to experience a completely different type of company that is connected to the one that I originally had worked for. I really wish D&M had the three co-op/five year option. I would be able to really plan my work experiences ahead of time, and experience both independent and SCDC job experiences. Hope everyone had a good week!

No comments:

Post a Comment