Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Winding Down at QVC

This past week hasn't been to hectic. I have been completing my regular tasks as well as enjoying my last few weeks at "the Q."My coworkers have been complimenting me on my work there thus far and it feels good to fit in. I feel as if I will be leaving a second family. I look forward to going to work to catch up with my coworkers. Whether it is talking about the latest episode of Girls or gossiping about what celebrity wore what, I have found a great group of friends in the women that I work with.

I feel as though I am always being educated. Even when I am not learning from a project that I am working on directly, I have certainly picked up on news and tidbits about the industry from being in my office. Today, for instance, my supervisor sent out a link to a news article about Redbook magazine and the redesign that it is in the process of undergoing. I generally would never pick up Redbook because it isn't my magazine of choice. I like to stick to magazines that I think of as being more "fashion-y" like Vogue and Bazaar, occasionally Lucky and Elle but Redbook is actually aiming to become more like those magazines. The article that the link took me to actually stated that the magazine is trying to stray away from the crock pot recipes and include more of a focus on beauty and fashion.

As I read this article, I began thinking about how I was really learning from it. We do a lot of work with Redbook and I have never thought twice about giving the book a look until I read the information about it today. I also started to think about how a redesign for Redbook, or any magazine really, would effect us and the work that we do. Because the magazine was viewed as less fashion-y before, but is trying to take it to the next level, it could mean the same for our business and in the long run, it could change our viewership. Of course, it would take time for that to all happen, but it is definitely fun and interesting to think about how things for one magazine can really have an impact.

For Public Relations, it is pretty much our job to get new viewership and increase the amount of people seeing our brands and products. With the help of a magazine or any other outlet, our efforts could be aided to do just that. I don't know if I sound like a dork, but it is things like this small change that gets me thinking about larger scale changes that really keep the industry going. Another thing that I loved seeing this week was when QVC was featured on The Rachel Zoe Project. A different coworker sent out a link to the episode when Rachel comes to QVC and to think that she walked the same hallways that I walk on a daily basis is pretty fascinating.

No comments:

Post a Comment