Monday, March 18, 2013

Lessons Learned


For my own sake of reflection, as well as updating my resume, I put together this list that summarizes what I learned from my internship with Philadelphia magazine. To simply remember everything I experienced based on memory was difficult so I was happy that I kept a journal through my experience (I recommend keeping one notebook for all your notes, assignments, to do lists, journaling, etc.). 


What I have Learned from Co-Op
  • Practical Skills:
    • How to do PR for an event
    • Copywriting
    • What to capture at events with photography
    • Fact checking
  • Knowledge of office life & culture:
    • Emailing with co-workers, communicating with my boss, working with a team, and an assortment of other experiences from calling out sick in a professional manner to be friendly on the elevator
    • Proper and professional way to communicate with event attendees, sponsors, other staff members
    • How to ask questions and for guidance
    • Always have a notebook ready to take notes & write everything down!
    • Multitasking & prioritizing, asking for help when needed
    • Taking the small tasks seriously so you’re given more responsibility
    • How to make phone calls and sound professional
  •  I developed an appreciation for:
    • Microsoft Excel
    • Social Media in regards to branding and communicating
    • Branding in general: executing Philadelphia magazine’s tone written by the editors in the magazine and carrying it through to events & online outlets
    • The importance of knowing what’s going on in the world- reading blogs, reading the news on a daily basis
I am very excited to get back in classes (I love school, I'm a bit of a nerd), but I am grateful that Drexel University provides us with the chance to be in the work force for six months. I gained an entirely new level of appreciation for my education but also quite a confidence boost. It makes me happy to know that I can do it- working with other adults, being employed by an established company, and doing a great job at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment