Sunday, March 17, 2013

Either Or


Manhattan, Philadelphia, or the suburbs; business related or creatively driven; paid or unpaid; a fashion internship can be all over the map. Nautica, Lilly Pulitzer, Nicole Miller, and QVC are just a few of the places my close friends are interning to give you an idea of the diversity in these companies. However, there are two major distinctions that I’ve noticed with internships from sharing experiences amongst my friends.

The first is a co-op with a large company, for example my internship with Philadelphia magazine. The greatest benefit from this type of co-op is the opportunity to network and meet people in the city of Philadelphia. By working our large-scale signature events, I’ve met and/or have become knowledgeable of the important people in the city- business owners, writers, and even Philly celebrities, for example. In fact, at our Philly Cooks event, I was able to point out all of the significant people there so that the photographer could capture them enjoying the event. And furthermore, I went up to a well-known PR firm owner and introduced myself. After chatting for a bit, he gave me his business card and told me to contact him if I was interested in an internship! I would say above everything else I have received from this working opportunity, the knowledge of who’s who in Philadelphia is the greatest asset I have received.

The second distinguishing and opposite feature amongst co-op’s is a small company. The advantage with this working opportunity is the large amount of responsibility given to interns. My friends who work for a company with a small staff get to do anything and everything for their team. By the end of their experience, they have gained lots of experience and very apparent skills. For example, a friend of mine who is assisting a stylist in New York City gets the chance everyday to do very hands-on tasks. She does some of the behind the scenes work, but she also has plenty of opportunities to actually practice her styling and creative skills.

It seems to be a either-or situation. One either gains the advantage of knowing important people from their internship with a well-established large company but did not receive as many chances to execute projects independently and show responsibility. Or, they many complete projects that show their vision and abilities and participate in lots of hands-on opportunities directly with their boss and small staff, but they do not have the opportunity to meet a large network of people.

Which direction your internship takes is up to you! But choose wisely because it will profoundly affect your experience and career. 

No comments:

Post a Comment