Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Planes, Trains and Automobiles

Public transportation in New York city is almost unavoidable if you're an active contributing member of society, simply because walking just won't do the trick in many cases. When I first moved to New York I read about a phone application that has nearly saved my life on many accounts. For those of you who live here, I'm sure you feel the same. Its called HopStop and in simplest terms, you type in your current location and your destination and can select various options of types of transportation. It calculates which bus or subway you need to take, as well as walking time and taxi time & fare. It also includes delays, should there be any. Basically this application has been my Bible for the past 6 months and is super convenient if you're an intern and need to go on runs all over the city. 

Moving forward, I have a minor yet life consuming issue that I'd like to address. If you are ever in New York City and you find yourself in a cab, by all means when it is time to exit, be alive and aware. I would swear that if you left your child in a taxi, you will probably never see it again. 

In my case, my version of a child in my life is known as my wallet. This contains my drivers license, my intern card, subway card, money, credit card etc. basically all things that you need on a day to day basis. I was on the phone when exiting my most recent cab affair, and although I had looked behind me to make sure I had all my belongings. My wallet had fallen onto the floor of the car and drove away into the black hole that is New York City. I'm sure my friends in Philadelphia could hear my reaction to this..... Naturally after my brief freak out, I cancelled my cards and called my parents to notify them of my mistake. After a week of dealing with the aftermath, all ended fine and well and life is back to normal. Obviously there are worse things to happen to you, but in the .5 seconds that you are leaving a taxi I beg of you to not repeat my mistake and to be sure of all your items and that they are on your person.

I filled out a missing item report with the NYC universal taxi website and called all the listed police precincts where lost & found items are returned. However, after doing so I did some research and apparently most of these precincts aren't even aware that they are listed for this purpose. I laughed this off and eventually moved on with my life, although I am still mildly bitter about losing my license considering I had gotten it during an era where I had black hair..... at least I won't be questioned in airports anymore. So I guess there's a silver lining.

I still hope that a kind samaritan sends it to my home address, but otherwise may my Chloe wallet rest in peace in the eternal island of misfit lost items. 

xx.

No comments:

Post a Comment