Tuesday, February 24, 2015

It's all business

    Recently at work, there have been meetings upon meetings going over how, as a whole, the company can be more profitable. Naturally, that is the objective of any business. A lot of things have been changing, which I'm sure will be for the better. Derek Lam is still a relatively small and new company so I am seeing how they are learning from their mistakes, and ironing out the creases as they grow. It is interesting to see the business aspect of the company and how every little detail can make or break profitability. Currently in the production department, we are switching to a lot of different vendors. We switched over nearly all of our patterns to a different company, our samples are now being made elsewhere, and our NYC based production factory has switched as well. Today I had to go to one of our cutting factories and explain to them that all of our fabrics are going to be picked up this week and moved to another factory. It is a little sad telling someone that you are no longer going to be giving them your business, but I guess that's why they call it business.

    On a lighter note, my mom came to visit me over the weekend which was a blast. We went to see a broadway show, Beautiful, which was awesome, I definitely suggest it! I feel like we spent the whole weekend eating because there are just too many good restaurants to go to in NYC! I have a list of one's I'm trying to get to before I leave next month. We also did a little shopping and some exploring but it was brutal considering the freezing cold weather. My mom left Saturday night before the snow started and I gladly spent the night in drinking wine and watching Netflix.

2 comments:

  1. What a great experience to be able to see Derek Lam go through these changes. I am sure you are learning a lot just from listening to the conversations and being able to see how a company becomes more profitable. I can't believe you had to tell the fabric cutting company that you would no longer be using them, I can't imagine how uncomfortable that must have been. Also, that is so great your mom came to visit. It is always a good day when you are out shopping and eating with mom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's really awesome you get to witness the development and changes of the brand. Every aspect and detail of a business can be fascinating. You can also learn so much from the business side of a fashion brand. You're so lucky to learn all about the brand. I'm sorry you had to be the one to tell the factory you're switching places, that seems very sad.

    ReplyDelete