Friday, February 6, 2015

Perspectives


            This week, I decided to volunteer more time to the FHCC. Something that I don’t mention often in my posts is what I do with the other half of my week. Like many of my peers, I’m unpaid, which automatically means I’m part-time. Unpaid Co-Ops are set up this way to allow for students to get an additional, paid job outside of the Co-Op program.

Unfortunately, I seem to be caught in the loop of “can’t get a job with no experience, can’t get experience without a job” – and frankly, it’s really frustrating. While I am actively searching and applying, having no other real tasks to perform can make me a little restless. I think going into the collection for a few more hours a week will help with that, and that is why I’ve decided to do so.

Anyway...

Aside from the frustration I feel, it’s been a pretty great week in terms of how things are going in the Dirty Room. Earlier this week, 4 of us did some major rearranging and it’s made a world of a difference in how much open workspace there is. It also has given us a clearer idea of how many boxes have been gone through and how many are left. As of today, 116 boxes have been gone through and we estimate we’re halfway done (if not slightly more). Today alone I was able to look through 12!

Another perk of having the room rearranged is that I now have access to two sizes of boxes. The larger boxes need to be handled by two people, whereas the smaller boxes can be tackled by one person. There aren’t always extra bodies available to help me out, so this has helped me immensely in terms of being able to consistently get work done in the Dirty Room.

            The Dirty Room is also a pretty interesting place to be by yourself in. Earlier this week, I swore I heard whispers while going through a box of - I’m not kidding - sleepwear, loungewear, and lingerie. (I promptly propped open the door and turned on music, because it was creepy.) It did make me stop and think for a moment, though, about the fact that I was going through, making notes of, and photographing someone’s rather intimate articles of clothing. How many other people had ever seen these things? How would I feel if, years from now, someone went through my clothes, with no real personal context? It was then that I realized how closely I interact with the lives of other people, despite it not being direct.

            With that in mind, the variety of things I get to look at gains more meaning. Recently we found a dress from the 1790s that is in astounding condition. The condition in of itself makes you wonder about the person who wore it, and who they passed it down to. When you look at things in this way, it makes you wonder why history tends to be regarded as boring so much of the time.

            Just something to think about, I guess.

Assorted pictures from this week:
(The 1790s dress is first!)



 



7 comments:

  1. What is the orgin of cane, Japanese? The craftsmanship is really amazing on the gold cast dragon head especially, but the fine detailing of the shaft is just as impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The "cane" is actually the handle of a parasol. :) It's possible that it's Japanese, but it's also very possible that it's American but highly influenced by Asian art. If you know what chinoiserie is, then I guess it's sort of in that same vein.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of these garments are amazing! It is really interesting to think about the people that have worn all these clothes in the past. It's like that saying if walls had mouths, I can't help but wonder what if these pieces could speak, weird but interesting! I really love the shift dress so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand it must be very frustrating, the whole loop of “can’t get a job with no experience, can’t get experience without a job”. I think that is something we all fear or struggle with at some point. But it looks like you're finding ways to get through it, and still enjoy yourself. The garments in your photos are stunning! I love all the colors and shapes, and the textures and embellishments are exquisite - such beautiful detailing. I wish I could've been there with you, going through all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are really incredible! each piece is truly incredible. best wishes with the rest of your co-op!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you and Madelyn, getting the job you need in order to gain experience isn't attainable without prior experience. It's a vicious cycle. When I scrolled through the pictures, I thought that the dress was from 1970.... I then realized that I read it incorrectly and was shocked that the garment is in such amazing condition. That's pretty miraculous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen garments similar to these before when I visited the Philadelphia Art Museum over the summer. It's crazy how such old garments can be preserved and made to last for years!!!

    ReplyDelete