Thursday, February 12, 2015

Starting Co-Op

It's been a long time coming, but I have finally started my co-op. I've been anxious about co-op since the start of the co-op class last summer. I was afraid that I wouldn't find a co-op I liked. I was worried I wouldn't get picked for the co-op I liked. I just knew I didn't want to settle when it came to co-op.

Thankfully I did not have to settle. I accepted the position as a buyer for Barns & Nobles at Drexel. During the interview, the store manager asked me if I could start earlier than March so I can be trained and ready by March 30th. I happily agreed. I couldn't wait to start learning.

I started on Tuesday morning. I had to fill out pages upon pages of paperwork. I had to read the handbook as well as their policies. It was so exciting to read about the company I was joining and how well it is doing. I got to meet my new employees. They are all extremely welcoming and helpful.  We hit the ground running by showing me around the the store and the back rooms. I started helping out with inventory since their inventory is this Saturday. Inventory is when an outside company comes to the store and scans all the items to check how accurate your inventory numbers are. I started in the back with the clothes. You had to count how much of each size you had of the item. You had to write down the UPC code as well as the type of clothing it was. After you counted the clothing you had to make sure the tags were easily accessible for the people to scan when they were doing inventory. It was very time consuming, but I want to learn every detail of this business. I can't wait for my next shift.


1 comment:

  1. Your co-op sounds so interesting! It seems like they are throwing you right into buying, and that you already have some very important responsibilities. I can't wait to hear more about your new job! :)

    ReplyDelete