Monday, March 2, 2015

Buying

It was only my second day at my internship when they exposed me to the buying process. I was so thrilled to come into work that day and see buying sheets. I love being busy and getting straight to the point so I'm happy they didn't spend so much time training me. I'm so happy I got an internship that is truly what I want to do when I graduate. 

In order to know what we had to buy we had to look at our overall yearly numbers. We looked at what we had in stock and the percentage of what sold that year. I never knew the Barns & Nobles at Drexel got so much business. We bought in bulks of 12. We usually were buying around 60-70 of a size run of the pieces. The sizes ranged from baby sizes all the way up to XXXL. There was a lot to order. The overall sheet also let us know when a certain piece was up for a new graphic. We looked at catalogs and Lookbooks for available logo options. I was proud to know that I could create a catalog just like the ones we were looking at thanks to Jan. We picked several new graphics. I can't wait to see them when they come in. It was nice to put my thoughts in on the graphic idea and have them be heard. I feel like I really am part of the team rather than just an intern. 

When we we're going through the buying sheets my boss and the current coop student talked about the quantity of each item they should buy. It was amazing to me that they both knew what sold well and what didn't. They also seemed to already have some idea of how much to buy of each item. I can't wait till I understand buying like they do. I'm really excited for the future of my internship. 

2 comments:

  1. That is so cool that really let you jump right in to the fun of it all! It sounds like you will be learning a ton, and it will be great hands on experience. It is also good to know that what we learn in school is very transferable to real life situations; thank you Jan! Good luck with the rest of your time buying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is always great when employers let you jump right in! I agree it is so much better to be busy then have nothing to do all day. I love that you got to see the catalog that was just like the one we all made for Jan! I agree with Rachel that it is so great to see the way our education translates to real life.

    ReplyDelete