Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Moving

          It is the last few weeks of Co-op and I’ve already begun the process of moving. Moving my stuff from Philadelphia to New York back in September was more challenging then expected. I decided to ship most of my stuff to the apartment in Brooklyn since I knew the people I would be living with, and shipping was much cheaper than renting a car. I packed up 4 large boxes and shipped them ground UPS for next day delivery, but that did not work out as planned. First, the boxes were delivered 3 days late, which caused me to have to spend hours everyday calling UPS and being on hold to find out why they have not been delivered, and the answer was always “I don’t know”. Second, when they got delivered I got a text from my soon to be roommate that the boxes aren’t in the best condition. At this point I’m just so glad that the boxes were actually delivered, but when time came to move into the apartment and I saw the boxes I then understood how bad of condition they were in. The boxes were literally torn apart with stuff falling out of them. One of the boxes was not even my original box. It seemed as if one of the boxes broke and they put half of my belongings in a new box and threw the other half out. I lot at least $1000 worth of clothes and possessions, and most items that were fragile were broken no matter how wrapped up they were. Needless to say, move in day was horrible back in September.

            Moving this time I am refusing to ship anything! Instead I am making the move in multiple steps. This past weekend I made trip number 1 to Philly. I mainly brought a lot of clothes and hangers in a suitcase and stored them at my friends place. The big move is happening this weekend when my boyfriend is driving to pick me up and we will hopefully fit everything in his car and bring it back to Philly. I will have to live my last week in New York out of a suitcase, but at least I know my belongings are fine. Moving to and from New York is such a pain and a lot of planning is involved, but at the end of the day it was well worth the struggles. I’ve enjoyed my time here, but I am never shipping anything UPS again!

No comments:

Post a Comment