Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Slice

Not much happened this week at work. It was a slow week in general, but on Saturday something eventful happened. It wasn't good though. I picked up some extra hours at Pacsun on Saturday. I worked 2-6pm with my assistant manager and a co-worker, Ashton, who was also off at 6. My friend, Dan, who I work with was coming in at 5pm to end the shift with our assistant manager. It was unusual to have just two people close on a Saturday night because it can get really busy and the store gets trashed. I offered to stay a little after my shift just to help them get a jumpstart on their cleaning. Ashton left to go home at 6. Everything was running smoothly. Dan was in the back cleaning the stock room and I was selling and putting some clothes away. Ashton who left at 6 came back around 6:30 to say bye again because he had just run out to get food but wanted to stop by the store one last time. Thank god he did.  I was standing in the middle of the store when I heard Dan open up the back store door. He called to Ashton and asked him to call 911. My heart dropped as I ran back there to see what was happening. Ashton ran to the front of the store to talk to our manager. Dan was in the bathroom when I knocked on the door. He told me to come in. He was hunched over the sink with his hand over the running water. His hand was clutched in a fist. There was blood in the sink. I asked him what was wrong. He opened his hand to reveal a terrible cut that stretched from in between his fingers to the middle of his palm. I almost fainted at the sight. He needed to go to the hospital. I knew how hectic and expensive an ambulance could be so I offered to drive him to the hospital. He grabbed some paper towels and we rushed to the nearest hospital. Thank god Ashton came back to the store so he could cover Dan's shift. Dan had fallen off the shelving units in our back room and when he was falling he went to grab on to something but grabbed a sharp metal bar instead. I took him to the hospital where he got 16 stitches. Who knew retail could be so dangerous? 

No comments:

Post a Comment