Thursday, November 29, 2012

A Week of New Things


This past week at work, some of the other interns have had to focus on finals or are nearing the end of their term, so I was given the opportunity to complete new tasks, as well as be involved in some of the more fun aspects of the job. I feel that each week I am learning more and am becoming more productive as well as comfortable in the office. I have also noticed that my supervisors are beginning to place more trust in me, and develop a relationship with me as their intern.
Last week the P.R. manager asked us to clean out the back closets, which was fun as we got to keep some of the older shoe and purse samples that they no longer needed in the showroom. I was pleased when my supervisor recommended that I be the one to organize all of the old samples for donation, as he found the way I did it previously really good and beyond his expectations. The P.R. coordinators also often ask me to merchandise racks of samples, or the accessories wall, as they have seen through my success in other projects they gave me that I am skilled in this department. One experience I found amusing was this past week when the Manager of P.R. asked me kindly to fold about twenty cover-ups into ridiculously small plastic bags. She asked me because she knew that I was very meticulous and neat when packing all of the charity merchandise, so she was confident I could make it look good. Although it was a tedious task, I thought it was awesome that she trusted me and remembered my skills from weeks ago.
Occasionally the supervisors will ask the interns to make runs, whether it is to drop off a garment or pick up a copy of a magazine our clothes have been featured in.  My supervisor asked me to go pick up a copy of Footwear Weekly, which I had never heard of or seen at any common magazine vendor. He told me to go to a place called Around The World, on 37th street between sixth and seventh ave. I was expecting a bookstore, or general large magazine vendor, but I was thrilled when I walked in. The entire store, which was surprisingly large, was filled with fashion magazines and publications from all over the world. There were magazines I had never even heard of, and some European publications that I have had to hunt down in Philadelphia just to find. Unfortunately they said Footwear Weekly turned out to be by subscription only, but I was beyond excited to have found that awesome spot.
When I got back to the office I told my supervisor how amazing I thought that store was. He was in shock that I had not yet experienced it. I love how I am continuously learning not only new things about P.R. for my company, but also about New York, Fashion, and the people I am working for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment