Wednesday, November 7, 2012

The Culture Shock of NYC


Having grown up just outside Manhattan, I was somewhat more aware of its culture especially in comparison to the small town I lived in Connecticut. However after moving to Philadelphia three years ago for college, It was a whole new idea to compare the cultures of two large cities.

After living in Philly for a bit of time now, I have come to a few conclusions about its culture, especially in relation to fashion. First of all, the fashion here is unfortunately very limited. It is not just a lack of fabulous stores outside of Walnut Street, it is also the lack of women who embody fashion and high fashion. I have noticed that if I leave work in my heels and walk down the streets during the day, people stare as if I had a third leg. Although people claim that Philadelphians can be wild, rowdy, and even obnoxious, it is truly a city that has its own groups of people and their own characteristics, which they are known for.

While interning in New York, I began to absorb the culture differently, and naturally compared it to Philly. Working in the Fashion Industry, I instantly was aware of the high level of fashion’s presence in New York, from the industry to the people, especially in comparison to the lack of such in Philadelphia. When I wear heels to work in New York people do not only carry on as if it’s nothing unusual, it is almost expected in my industry. Women walk the streets in designer from head to toe, and the highest of heels, and those that walk by accept it as the normal. As for New York having a reputation as being “rude”, I would say it is number. There is a ton of character in New York, but it seems that nothing is new to New Yorkers anymore, and they focus on themselves in such a fast paced environment. 

No comments:

Post a Comment