Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Some Polished Advice

Throughout my time at Polished for Pennies, I have always heard Vittoria talk about how she constantly goes after what she wants. Now that I'm applying for Co-ops in the spring, I turned to her for some advice on how to land my dream Co-op.
     The first point that Vittoria stressed was research, research, research. We all learn in Co-op 101 to research the company we are interviewing for. But Vittoria takes her research a step-or several-further. Google the company, Google your interviewer, track down the interviewer's LinkedIn to find common connections, and check out his or her Facebook photos to get a sense of their personality and style. I never would have thought to find an employer on Facebook, but it's a great idea! Interviewing for jobs in the fashion industry is tricky, because we are told to look business professional on interviews, but fashionistas still want to portray their own personal style and understanding of the brand the are interviewing for. When you know how the other people that work at an office dress, you won't ever be surprised and wish you had worn something else when you walk in to the office.
     Vittoria also gave me some great advice when making connections with people. She gave me the email address of a friend who worked at a company I am interviewing with, and said merely to ask her to coffee to hear about her experience. Don't ask for anything other than her story. In this cut-throat world where who you know is more important than what you know, it is important to learn how to build professional relationships like this.
     I'm really looking forward to putting Vittoria's advice to good use in the coming weeks. I'll be worn out from all these interviews, but I hope to gain insight on the industry from each and every one!

No comments:

Post a Comment