Monday, November 5, 2012

Polished for Pennies Hits Drexel's Campus

My most recent assignment for Polished for Pennies incorporated several Drexel Students. "Polished for Pennies Hits the Streets" is a new segment for the blog that incorporates questions from readers that are answered by Vittoria on the blog. I was assigned to film Drexel students asking fashion, beauty and confidence questions directed toward Vittoria. I was very excited to incorporate my stylish friends into the videos and give them a glimpse of what's it like to be an intern for P4P.
     However, my first attempt did not work out in real life as I had imagined it in my head. I wanted to film students on campus, but the background noise of the city was distracting. Inside on campus was just as loud with students shuffling between classes. So most of the time I ended up in a classroom against a dull white wall. I also presented the project as more of a script than a conversation. Many of the subjects I chose were slightly nervous in front of the camera, so I thought giving them a guide of what to say would help the flow of their speech. However, in the end many sounded robotic or scripted instead of energized and enthused, like I had imagined.
     Although they were not exactly what I wanted, I had a deadline to get the videos to Vittoria, so I sent what I had over. I hoped that she could make some of the takes work with her editing skills. Vittoria had some sound advice. If I was unsure I could have asked for more time or tips. I redid the videos close up and outside. I filmed some girls asking the questions together, to feed off of each other's energy. I took more time editing out takes I knew weren't quite right. The second batch of videos warranted a much better response from Vittoria, and I was very proud of them. This project taught me to trust my gut and ask for help if I'm struggling with a process.
     Vittoria is now in the process of editing the videos for her blog, in which she will answer all of these students questions! I'm excited to see how it turns out, and hope to be a part of the editing process next time. What I've loved most about this internship so far is pushing myself to try new things I never thought I would be doing. Having never edited a video for online viewing, I think it would be a fun experience.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment