Thursday, November 15, 2012

Back to Reality

Last week I decided not to post since I did not work since my post two weeks ago.  The break was much needed!  Last Friday was my first day back.  Since Melissa, one of the fabric coordinators, had just left the company, I had to help out by creating fabric swatches for our overseas vendors.  There was a bit of a hiccup when we couldn't find a whole roll of indian damask cupro jersey in azure and not cypress!  It sounds silly, but something like that can really set back production, especially since the style is only made in azure.  Luckily it was just hiding in the design department.

The past couple of days I have been putting together sample tech packs again for our overseas vendors to create.  The fabric manager wasn't there on Monday and it actually took much longer for Kathy and I to find the correct fabric and then cut it.  This just goes to show that everyone's job is really important no matter what it is.  Other than that, I have been updating the tracking report and various other reports. One I found quite difficult was the fabric content and care report.  A lot of the fabrics and its content/care weren't updated in the Buy Grid, and it was also a little sloppy.  Things weren't properly labeled as a lining or combo fabric for example.  Also the report has to be in English and French.  I've never taken French...

It feels as though my internship is winding down and I definitely have mixed emotions about it.  A part of me would like to move on to another company and/or department, but the other part of me absolutely loves working for Vera Wang.  The people are really what makes a company desirable, at least it is for me.  I am starting to open up and chat more with people in other departments besides my own and its a lot of fun.  What bummed me out again about the job opening was when people said, "Rumor has it you're going to be the new Melissa."  Obviously I can't since I'll still be in classes.  They actually just hired a temporary person to fill her spot.  I think I am going to talk to Kathy about whether or not I should try and co-op with Vera in the same department or a different one or just move onto a new company entirely.

No comments:

Post a Comment