Saturday, November 17, 2012

First Week in NYC

Hello! This week was my first week working out of our NYC showroom. I am not the biggest fan of NYC (I am much more of a Philly girl), but I do have to say that I love the fast work pace in NYC. Each day I help one of our reps show The North Face's Fall 2013 line to one of their accounts. Some accounts take much longer to work with because they deliberate on buying decisions for a longer amount of time, where other accounts take half the amount of time to work with. For example, it took from 9am-6pm (9 hours) to show one of our accounts the entire Fall 2013 line, while it took two days (18 hours approximately) to show another one of accounts Fall 2013 line. Some accounts only use one buyer, whereas one account we worked with this week had 4 people buying for them. It helps to have so many insights in the same room at once, but sometimes it makes it more difficult as well if the buyers can't come to an agreement. I usually work from 9-6 everyday on average and have been staying with my aunt in Short Hills, NJ so I take a half hour train into the city, so it isn't too bad. I will be working out of West Chest next week once again and then will be back in the city through Christmas.

3 comments:

  1. That is so cool! You are really seeing the side from the opposite side of a buyer! Do you think this is something you will pursue? Also, I am jealous that you will be there through Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you're going all over the place with your job! That's great that you have the opportunity to travel because you get to see so many more things that the industry has to offer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think it is something I would pursue because the cons seem to outweigh the pros for me even though being a Rep is a great job. I love that they know The North Face product down to its core, and get to extend their knowledge to buyers coming in to see the Fall 2013 line. It seems to be a very rewarding job most times. However, the Reps also spend so much time traveling. Some of the people I work with in NYC, live in places 30 minutes-1 hour away from the office, which isn't too bad. However, other Reps I work with live in Pennsylvania (our company takes care of everything The North Face related from NY to DC so our employees live all over the tristate area), but show the Fall 2013 to their clients out of our NYC showroom so they stay in hotels from Monday-Friday for atleast a month and a half. They all have spouses and children so I'm sure it's very hard to be away from home that long for work. The North Face also does 85% of their business in the Fall/Winter season so it's nonstop at this time, especially during the holidays which are so family oriented. I do love showing the line and interacting with the buyers though, especially since each account is so different. Some are lifestyle accounts like Macy's and Bloomingdales, while others are ski specialty shops, and so forth. I do like the buying aspect of it, but I don't know if that is something I would necessarily want to do.

    ReplyDelete