Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Holidays at the Q

With Thanksgiving last week and the Holidays approaching, it is a very busy time for retailers. Stores are packed with eager customers waiting to get a good deal. On my side of it in the PR world though, now is when it starts to slow down a lot. Editors have already been pitched so many Holiday ideas during the previous months (starting as early as June/July) that now they are just dealing with putting together Spring issues.

Last week, when I was putting together those 40 Editor gifts, those were mostly for short lead media contacts. A short lead contact is one who does not have the issue put together far in advance. For example, a weekly issue as opposed to a monthly issue is short lead because there are so many issues a month, they cannot possibly be executed and completed too early before they are released. For the monthly publication editors that we sent to, that was to hopefully get coverage in the future, even if they won't be placing the products on this Holidays' "gift list."

Yesterday, one of the QVC hosts, who's team works right next to me, was on The Chew. There was much excitement in the office when he came back from New York to watch the premiere of his episode with his team. I have found after working here for almost 3 months that this is how it is around here. When it is busy, it is super busy and when it isn't, it just isn't. In my previous internships, I have spent only about 2 months so the fact that this is 6 months, I definitely feel like I am learning a lot more and growing more knowledgeable of the industry.

Today, with the snow outside and the Christmas trees and gifts scattering the building, I feel like I am right at home here and getting ready for the upcoming holidays. There is a store right on site here that sells a lot of the products that you see on TV and online so during our breaks, we wander down there and take a look at what we might want to get for our families or ourselves. In the next few weeks, my team will also be doing a cookie exchange and a Secret Snowman so I am looking forward to that and all of the holiday cheer to come!

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with the statement "When it is busy, it is super busy and when it isn't, it just isn't." I feel the same way at my job. I hate when it's slow!

    ReplyDelete