Saturday, November 3, 2012

Crossing Paths



When speaking about the city of Philadelphia to non-natives, the way I describe the city's faults are by explaing that these downfalls give the city "character." The dirtyness and liter, abundance of crimes, lack of up-keep, "interesting people," freakishly fanatic sports fans, and overall lack of class compared to cities such New York or Washington D.C. is this "character" that I am referencing. But as my Co-Op, internship, and college education progress in Philadelphia, there are many brighter notes that I am learning about the city. In addition to being a native myself, having an internship with the Philadelphia Chamber of Commerce and a Co-Op with Philadelphia Magazine, you could say that I am learning the in's and out's of the city and its surronding region.

Both of my jobs require a great amount of research for the tasks that I am assigned. With this research, I am finding the two positions overlapping. For example, while working at Philadelphia Magazine last week, I was researching council members of the Chamber of Commerce. Additionally, at the Chamber of Commerce, I was archiving articles written by Philadelphia Magazine. It has been a bizarre but very interesting experience having these two positions cross paths. I especially feel that this conjuction is causing me to learn about the city of Philadelphia on a very in depth level.

And although it has only been five weeks into my full time working experienece, I can firmly say that Philadelphia is a great place to intern and work. For example, did you know that...

  • Philadelhpia is home to 13 Fortune 500 companies in with 321 having offices in the region and 119 having headquarters located within a 200-mile radius. 
  • Philadelphia has a lower cost of living than the other major northeast metros including New York, Boston, Washington D.C. and Baltimore. 
  • Per capita personal income of $50,730 in 2012; personal income per household of $134,610.
  • Greater Philadelphia has been ranked among America’s hottest metropolitan areas for businesses to locate.
  • Philadelphia ranked in the top 20 in the "Top Cities for Staying Young,"
  • 100 million people are within a one-day drive

  • (All data taken from Select Greater Philadelphia's website.)


    So While New York is the Fashion Capital of the United States, Washington D.C. is clean and modern, and other cities like Miami have beautiful weather and landscapes, Philadelphia is pratical, full of business opportunities, rich in history, and oh yeah don't forget, has plenty of character.

    While I will never bleed green for the Phildelphia Eagles, and probably never consume a cheesesteak from Geno's, a few years from now I will most likely choose Philadelphia to be the region in which I start my own company.

    2 comments:

    1. LOVED this post. I have always liked Philly the best out of all of the cities I have been to, and grow to love it even more day-by-day. The Philly facts were especially interesting.

      ReplyDelete
    2. That is so funny how your positions are crossing paths! I feel like that happens a lot when we take multiple DSMR classes at once, and it makes me feel like I'm actually applying the knowledge I'm gaining, which is cool.

      ReplyDelete