Friday, February 8, 2013

Snowmaggedon


Things to never combine: Fashion Week & blizzards

Welcome to the city where any other place in comparison would have to be on 3x Fast Forward to keep up. Today this applies to the severity of the weather. However unlike most places, business as usual must go on regardless of the sugary frosted flakes being dumped onto the streets.

You’d honestly think lava was falling from the sky from the way people in the streets react and prepare for this said to be “2-38 inch” blizzard we are anticipating. Naturally the one day of the week I have off to do my own errands, an ice age decides to form outside. Mind you, does anyone remember it was 60 degrees last week? But I digress. 

Unknowingly, I ventured out into the storm at its prime hour today. It had been calm when I left so much to my surprise when I left my last errand, hail seemed to be shooting in every direction. One being the direction of my eyeballs. Catching a cab wasn't even an option and there was no shot I was going to wait 15 minutes for the next bus that may not even be coming. So, I ran home. It didn't seem very Carrie Bradshaw of me but what can you do?

Be prepared to play bumper cars with umbrellas if you plan on strutting your stuff on the sidewalks between today and tomorrow. Public transportation is a mess even in the middle of the day, but if that's not appealing to you then good luck catching any cabs.

In terms of Fashion week, the show must go on!
After reading some articles I've been updated on the following information:
-Marc Jacobs has post poned his Monday night show to Thursday the 14th (but who wouldn't mind adding a touch of MJ to their Valentine's Day anyway?) because of potential delivery and attendance issues
-Jenni Kayne might even miss her show because she's stuck in LA with a cancelled flight
-Michael Kors is in high spirits claiming "#NEMO can't stop us!" yet he apparently decided to show up to the "Project Runway" show today in UGGS. I understand its snowing but is it flurrying in your head and fogging your decision making? Michael, please advise.
-Zac Posen is continuing on with his original Sunday show schedule, although he is afraid certain invitees won't be able to attend. I'll be sure to inform him of my availability!

Cheers to everyone looking chic this weekend in arctic attire. This blizzard will not deter me. I will happily be streaming the shows in bed via my laptop. Happy Friday!

Sources:
http://www.businessinsider.com/new-york-fashion-week-faces-nemo-snow-2013-2
http://www.newser.com/article/da4amn3g0/snow-is-so-last-season-ny-fashion-week-crowd-battles-the-elements-but-goes-on-with-the-show.html

No comments:

Post a Comment