Thursday, February 7, 2013

The Good Life

Happy Fashion Week all! Its always been an exciting time of year for anyone whose heart belongs to this industry. Unlike previous seasons, I now have the opportunity to have the inside scoop to feast on every day! For some, its a more wonderful time of year than the Holidays, so L'shana tova!

Hello friends! I am new to this blog ordeal, so I suppose this is my shining moment to introduce myself. 

My name is Caiti McCormick, I'm currently living in New York City, "living the dream" (working 50+ unpaid hours a week) for Harper's BAZAAR Magazine. Let me begin by saying, if I received one dollar for the amount of times someone has asked me, "IS IT ANYTHING LIKE THE THE DEVIL WEARS PRADA?" I could pay for my NYC apartment rent. And I am not obliged to answer this nor am I really allowed to. However, I will say that I love my co-op and everyone I work with. By contract, I am not allowed to speak of the workings within my internship, however I intend to do my best on advising and speaking of all other aspects of this adventure I am currently on.

Moving forward. Some basic information: I moved here with three of my best friends (all fellow D&M students!), so my first piece of advice is if you're first of all interested in moving to NYC and lucky and able to move here with a friend or few, do so. This city can swallow you whole and it will if you don't pay attention. This leads to mornings consisting of coffee brewing, closet sharing, laughs, shouts, things that shouldn't be made public and best of all, good feelings of support. Living with friends makes adapting to the city all the more easier.

We live in Murray Hill and according to most people I've talked to, this is one of the first neighborhoods many people decide to move to after graduating college. We have a few hangout spots which I highly recommend checking out if ever in the area. 
To name a few: 
-One of Manhattan's top Jewish delis (debatable, some say its Katz's) 2nd Ave Deli is a mere short walk from our apartment. Its actually located off of 3rd Avenue because their original location moved, so don't let the name throw you off! Anyway, if you have ever allowed thoughts of matzo ball soup to keep you up at night then I promise you, you won't be disappointed. 
-The Spice Market is an amazing restaurant, in the Meatpacking district, that serves their entrees tapas style. Its an asian fusion type of restaurant and the decor is just as amazing as the food.
-Wild Edibles is a great fish market and restaurant located on 3rd avenue and 36th Street. Its really small and only seats about 8 tables but its comfortable and the seafood is incredible.

Thats all for now! Its blizzarding in the city tonight/tomorrow, so I hope your eyes are open for it if any of you are fellow city livers. There's a sort of stillness that sets in when snow has graced New York, so enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment