Friday, February 28, 2014

Expectations

My internship is over in a couple of weeks, and I am beginning to have mixed emotions. Prior to this opportunity, I was eager to get out of Philadelphia and into the working world. I had an internship on top of school during my sophomore year, so I figured having a full time job without school would allow for more free time. I was wrong, and right in some cases.

For one, having a full time job does allow for more free time (unless fashion week is nowhere in sight). I have been able to focus on my own interests and activities without having to worry about schoolwork and deadlines. However, I have noticed that my energy is completed drained after work. I have started to look forward to casual nights in with my favorite take out order in hand. Working full time is very different than school. This opportunity has given me a glimpse into adulthood, and although I am excited for it in the future, I am definitely thankful I still get to be a student for the next year. I pride my education and love learning, but I think we can all say sometimes we take it for granted. We look at it more as a hassle than a blessing. Having the chance to intern has shown me the importance of my education.

My friend Laura playing dress up on her last day
Making new friends also never crossed my mind. I was so focused on the job part that I didn’t think about how important it is to like the work environment. Thankfully, I absolutely love the people I work with. As the only American intern, I have been able to connect with a diverse group of individuals. Germany, London, France, Australia, Columbia, the interns’ come from all over the world! It has been great working with people who are equally as enthusiastic about the work. I am thankful that this experience has brought me to make some of my greatest friendships. Unfortunately, a lot of the interns have been slowly trickling away as the weeks go by. Saying goodbye has been difficult, especially since most of them have to fly back home to Europe. Although its unfortunate that they will no longer be in New York, I now have plans to travel to see their home countries. Overall, working with people from different backgrounds and cultures has been one of my favorite unexpected experiences during my internship. This aspect makes Marc Jacobs a truly unique company.


1 comment:

  1. I am completely feeling the same way about going back to school in just another four weeks. I can't believe how quickly this experience went by and it's such a bitter sweet feeling to know it's almost over. All of my friends keep telling me how lucky I am that I don't have to go to class and I can just work all day, but like you, I agree that a full time job is much more exhausting than going to class. My energy has definitely hit a new low and I never realized how tiring work can be. With that being said, I am looking forward to classes and go back to being a college student! That sounds like such a cool experience to work with interns from different cultures, it makes the learning process much more fun and beneficial! So glad your enjoying and can't wait to see you back in class!

    ReplyDelete