Sunday, February 9, 2014

#NYFW


Carrie Bradshaw once said, “every year the woman of New York leave the past behind and look forward to the future…this is known as Fashion Week.” Ever since living in New York I have found myself to sympathize and relate to Carrie Bradshaw more and more, and with the BCBGMAXAZRIA and Herve Leger show just days away I felt like every where I looked was linked to a #NYFW. I had never been involved in Fashion Week before so I was eager for the day of show feeling restless until Thursday. Monday and Tuesday I worked at corporate, both days were filled with buyer meetings and last minute model castings, so of course I stayed at work until around 8:00 every night. As I was leaving the office Tuesday night, my boss asked me if I could assist with the blogger pulls on Wednesday since she knew I would be working at the store that day. Last Fashion Week all the bloggers came to the showroom to pull looks for the shows. However, it ended up being a huge mess and most of the samples were never returned. Consequently they decided to host the bloggers at our Flagship location on 40th and 5th Ave and gift them three items of their choice instead. I had the ability to work with Fashion bloggers, such as WeWoreWhat, Damsel in Dior, and Courtney Kerr from the Bravo TV show, Courtney Loves Dallas, to help style them for the show. I showed them the latest runway collection and our newest accessories to complete their looks. To my surprise, most of the bloggers were so pleasant and so much fun to work with.


 After working yet another long day the exhaustion was finally starting to kick in, but I had to brave through just one more day because Thursday was the BCBGMAXAZRIA runway show. A 5:30 am wake up call meant show time! As I walked into the corporate office with my venti Starbucks Coffee I could tell this was going to be a long, but exciting day. We got to The Theater at Lincoln Center around 7:30 am where they gave us credentials and staff t-shirts. My first task of the day was to place all the gift bags in the first two rows. Once that task was done, my boss handed me a walkie-talkie telling me I would have to walk all the bloggers in to take a picture in front of the step and repeat. This task was really exciting, but also terrifying. Each blogger was only allowed backstage for a minute and we could only take one in at a time. I was told to never leave their side and make sure they take one picture and get to their seats. After running back and forth from check in to backstage for about an hour I couldn’t wait to take a seat and watch the show. The lights went down, Murakami’s “Made in Heights” blasted from the speakers, and out came a parade of beautiful fur coats. After the show everyone rushed backstage and I felt like I was on Super Bowl Boulevard all over again, you couldn’t move and everyone was crowded around Max and Lubov Azria to congratulate them on a beautiful show.



By 11:45 I was back at the office and by 12:00 I was with my bosses from OP Sales in another buying meeting. This day felt never ending since I had to work at the store from 4-10 for the Elite Event we would be hosting. The Elite Event consisted of a presentation of the SS14 collection that would be available to our elite clients for pre-order. This meant we had over 100 people at the store and all the big bosses from corporate, including Max and Lubov would be in attendance. The store completely transformed into a runway show and the event was beyond successful. This week has taught me so much about the industry and what it means to have a real job. I felt so proud and blessed to be a part of so many successful pieces this past week. By the end of the night I was completely whipped out. This was definitely the most exciting, eventful, and tiring week I have ever experienced and I am looking forward to taking a mini vacation to celebrate my 21st birthday with my mom in Vegas!

2 comments:

  1. It was an amazing surprise to work the show alongside with you. I feel like you've matured so much since we last had class. I'm happy that you are gaining more experience in the fashion industry. That's wonderful that you are able to attend buying meetings. I find these meetings to be very important and informative. I hope you have a wonderful 21st birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say is that it's a good thing Drexel students are used to not sleeping! Your experience with BCBG sounds amazing, you're really getting a full high fashion experience.

    ReplyDelete