Sunday, February 23, 2014

To PR, or not to PR? That is the Question

After about a month of interning with the PR team, I knew something was missing. I knew there was more to the industry than just one corner of the office and I wanted to experience as much as I could. I went to speak with the HR Director and she suggested I switch departments half way through my co-op. So, once January began I would finish out my co-op in the sales department, but back in October I wanted to be open and enjoy every second I had left in PR, since this was initially where I wanted to be and what I would be doing.



Most of our days in the PR office were relatively the same. We would write up samples, create press clippings from all the current magazines, and track down merchandise for our celebrity stylists. When I found out we were going to participate in a Press Preview for the BCBGMAXAZRIA and Herve Leger Spring ‘14 collections (both Runway and RTW), I was beyond excited. This was what I loved about PR and this was an opportunity I had been waiting for, especially since I missed out on September Fashion Week. The morning of the event we arrived to the office at 7:00 am to assist the visual team in finalizing the showroom. It was great to have the opportunity to collaborate with another team and learn something new about the industry. By 10:00 am the showrooms were complete and the first appointments were starting to begin. At first our jobs were to bring all the buyers, editors and bloggers to meet with someone from the PR team to walk them through the collections. After about an hour the showroom was overbooked and they started having us, the interns, walk all the fashion icons through the collections. At first I was a little intimated to walk them through something I wasn’t prepped on what to say or do, however, I had been watching the PR team and the rest of the fashion world talk about the collections that I managed to know exactly what I was talking about. I got to walk several bloggers and editors through the collections, which was an unexpected, but incredible experience. I had the ability to network with some of fashion’s best and I am so grateful that the PR team trusted me enough to give me such an important task. It is opportunities and events like these that make me fall in love with the PR world and miss the PR office and team. Overall I don’t regret not doing my full 6 months with PR, but it is moments like these where I still question what position I desire and what kind of work environment I dream to be a part of.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you are feeling, I work for the marketing department of my company and always thought that I would want to work behind the scenes, in a more business oriented job. Throughout my coop experience I have completely changed my mind and realized that the last thing I want to be doing everyday is sitting at a desk and computer all day. It is awesome you were able to switch departments half way and have a whole new experience !

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete