Monday, February 3, 2014

Pickpocket Playground

Super Bowl Boulevard was an enjoyable perk last week. Although most would say it was a New Yorkers nightmare, I enjoyed being a part of all the excitement and hype. However, the crowds started to accumulate as it got closer to the weekend making running errands for work a bit of a challenge. It was especially a little scary being in a midtown on Saturday. Super Bowl Boulevard was packed with so many people that you could barely move. I can't help but get a little worried when I am in the midst of a big crowd with no room to move. Thankfully I maneuvered myself away from everyone and headed back to the subway. Just as I walked into the N train, I overhead a panic stricken woman tell her friend that someone just took her phone. After looking around the subway, it was obvious that it was gone. Immediately after this happened I thought about how easy it must be for someone to pickpocket someone, especially with this many people in town for the big game. This was a playground for pickpocketing, and unfortunately this tourist fell victim.

After working all week, I was looking forward to walking around Soho and possibly doing a little shopping before heading home. However, spending just 5 minutes in H&M was a big mistake. While browsing around, I also fell victim of pickpocketing, and had my phone, credit cards, and ID stolen. It did not take me long to realize what happened and I fell instantly into panic mode. Despite how careful I always am with my phone and belongings, I would have never imagined this would happen to me. Once I realized my phone was not in my purse or on me, I went to the front of the store to speak with the manager. To my surprise, another girl my age was speaking to the manager, addressing the same dilemma. It seems that both of our phones were taken from us around the same timespan. However, the other victim was confident who did it. After some time the police came and we each explained our story. I was confident my phone was taken from my pocket, while the other victims was taken from her purse. Because mine was taken from my body, I had to go with the police to the precinct to speak with a detective and file a report.

This was a very emotional experience for me, as well as a huge wake up call. No matter how careful you think you are, it is never careful enough. Unfortunately, some people pickpocket for a living. No matter where you are, always be alert and on the lookout. I keep thinking if only I had learned from the stranger on the subway that morning, but unfortunately I had to learn the hard way.

2 comments:

  1. What a nightmare! I actually had my wallet pick pocked from me at Drexel last year and I know how much of a hassel it is; not only that, but it is a huge invasion of privacy. During my day in Time Square at Super Bowl Boulevard, my friend had his camera stolen right out of his backpack. You really can never be too careful these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so scary, I'm sorry you had to deal with such an invasion of privacy! Luckily, you were not harmed in the process and what you lost were material things. It does not make the situation any less unfortunate however a lot of crimes involving theft also involve violence. I am glad you are okay, and it is a wake up call that you can never be too cautious or aware of your surroundings! Hope you get everything sorted out. xo

    ReplyDelete