Monday, February 10, 2014

The Emotions of NYFW

Marc Jacobs FW 2014 collection is just 3 days away, and I couldn't be more excited, nervous, and slightly emotional to be involved in this creative process. I am amazed at how quickly time flies. It feels like I was applying for an internship at MJ just yesterday, when in reality it has been months! Ever since I was in high school I have always felt passionately about working for this brand. I set long term and short term goals for myself, and interning there was at the top of my list. At the time it almost felt unreachable, and more like a dream rather than a goal. But here I am today, accomplishing this goal of mine. I am thankful that I will walk away from this experience even more in love with the brand and company than I was before. My new friends have become some of my best, my bosses have become some of my greatest teachers, and I know my life will never be the same. It may be the lack of sleep that has me feeling sentimental, or all of this self-reflection has me feeling proud. Either way, I am eager for the future ahead (and I am especially eager for this beautiful collection!)

With the show just around the corner, my time has been completed devoted to assisting with the new collection. Every task has to be completed quickly, but carefully, leaving no room for error. This has been a great test for myself to see how well I do under pressure. For example, making zippers used to be my biggest fear! The idea of smashing each teeth with, what we like to call, the "smasher machine" made me feel anxious. Thankfully,  after making hundreds my confidence arrived just in time for the big test. I still don't have a clear idea of how the collection is going to look, but so far I can already tell it is going to be beautiful. Seeing everything play out from start to finish has been so inspiring. This weekend I went back to my old stomping grounds to help the design team with the cutting tickets. For this job, I helped my fellow intern assemble each cutting ticket with its proper fabric swatches, sketches, and notes for each garment. When working in the sample room, I use the cutting tickets to gather all of the proper trims for each look. It was interesting to be back on the design end making the cutting ticket, rather than gathering everything and preparing the trims for each garment. Through making the cutting tickets, I now have a clearer understanding for the overall process.


Looking forward to hearing everyone's experiences at fashion week, as well as sharing my own. If you are interested in watching Marc's show it is available for lifestream on their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment