Wednesday, February 26, 2014

On Camera: HuffPost Live

On this past quiet Sunday evening, I received one of the most unexpected emails, well, ever. A producer from HuffPost  had read my articles here on d&m@Work and wanted me to contribute to a segment on the effects of commuting. Yeah, I thought it was a joke at first too, but I knew I had nothing to lose.

I myself was rather unfamiliar with HuffPost Live, so I did a bit of binge watching the night before. Each segment is hosted by a Huffington Post correspondent who presents a topic along with a panel of individuals with relevant experiences who contribute via web chat.

 Huffington Post notes their Third Metric initiative is to redefine success to include well-being, wisdom and compassion: "The current model of success -- which equates success with burnout, sleep deprivation, and driving ourselves into the ground -- isn't working." This particular segment was addressing a recent study conducted in the U.K. that correlated longer commute times with greater levels of unhappiness and anxiety. Much to my dismay, all of the data noted a relationship between bus and coach travel and the highest level of stress. You can probably all infer that I was not the least bit surprised.

The other contributors consisted of an avid biker and blogger from Seattle, a screenwriter who commuted to work by car in Los Angeles, and a researcher from Wales. Dr. Newman, the researcher, concluded that individuals who walk or bike to work by choice are more content because they feel more in control of their situation. I realized immediately that my commute was so stressful because I am merely an passive rider. I'm subject to weather, traffic and drivers who don't know their way around and ends up making a wrong turn or two. It was also noted that economics played a significant role in the way people choose to commute, and as my internship is unpaid I can only afford to take the most inexpensive method of transport: the bus. Despite my less-than-ideal commuting situation, my supervisors are not only incredibly understanding but also respectful of the effort I'm making to commute such a long distance in order to work.

Check out the video here!

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! Congrats! I have to say as someone who commutes to coop everyday via car, it is the worst. I work 19 miles from Philly and on a good day making in home in under 45 minutes is a miracle. After a long day of work the last thing anyone wants to do is sit in traffic. I could only image how frustrating it must be to rely on public transportation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Courtney, I think it is amazing that you were interviewed by Huffington post! I watched the interview and found it enlightening. Next spring I decided I will be commuting to class from my apartment in New York. Thankfully, it is only 3 days a week- but I can still see how exhausting it gets. I am hopeful that I will be able to manage my time effectively and make the most out of living in New York (I can't seem to bring myself to leave). Thanks for sharing your advice!

    ReplyDelete