Friday, October 10, 2014

3 Days of Hats & Shoes

 
    It’s hard for me not to internally chuckle when I look back to the years where I didn’t understand what the big deal was about shoes and accessories. Maybe it had something to do with the tomboyish (read: shopping in the boy’s section of Old Navy) phase I went through, but I can’t imagine being like that now. With the way I have ogled and practically drooled over the things I’ve seen this week, I don’t think anyone would be able to imagine it, either.

    Backtracking a bit, the FHCC is having an exhibition in Fall 2015 featuring the highlights of the collection. While this is fantastic for the collection in terms of visibility, it also creates the sticky situation of actually having to pick out said “highlights”. Another Co-Op student, Virginia, is working a higher position than I and has been compiling a list for quite awhile now, but this week I actually got to help.

    On Monday we began our odyssey through the world of hats, a journey which will not be finished for who-knows-how-long. While unboxing, looking for information, tagging, reboxing, etc. may not be the most riveting of activities, I have seen so many beautiful things. Because the URBN Center has only been around for a couple of years, there is still much that needs to be re-identified and labeled - and in a way, it makes my work something akin to a treasure hunt. I absolutely love that aspect of this internship. Here are photos of some of my favorites:






  
     I will admit, though, I am easily distracted by pretty things – especially when they’re “exotic-looking”. Another student was looking through a box of Chinese garments and I just about died. (I can’t imagine how irritating it must have been with my constant rubbernecking to see what she was pulling out next. Sorry, Mimi!) There were so many pieces that I cooed over, but this plum robe was just too lovely for me to not take a photo of.

  
    The shoes may be the most important part of my week, however - we took a break from hats for a while and began looking through shoes as well. We also looked for shoes that would be featured in a separate event. Taking part in the annual DesignPhiladelphia Festival, the FHCC is hosting a lecture called Ciao Bella: Eight Decades of Italian Shoe Design and will be followed by a private viewing of select pieces from the collection.








    If you’re interested in attending, check out the DesignPhiladelphia website. Ciao Bella is Wed. Oct. 15 at 6pm. Tickets are $25.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post with all the pictures! I've always loved the aspect of "hunting" when shopping and I feel like that's similar to what you are doing in this aspect of your co-op which is so fun! I'm a little bit jealous you get to see all these pretty things!

    ReplyDelete