Thursday, October 2, 2014

So Much To Do, So Little Time

When I first accepted my internship with Shoshanna, a women and baby girl’s clothing designer, I had no idea what to expect. The entire office is made up of only sixteen people so I knew I would be helping every department but I didn’t know how I would balance everyone’s need. After working there for a week and a half I find that this is in fact the hardest part of the job to navigate. I find that one of my greatest weaknesses so far has been my inability to say no to my coworkers. Always wanting to help the next person who asks for my assistance it can be hard when I am already working on a project and I am forced to say no until I finish my current job. However with this challenge also comes the ability to learn from everyone in the office and the chance to try my hand in every area of the company. Despite only being in the office for a week and a half working with different departments has exposed me to many different aspects of the business.           
The first task I received only ten minutes after arriving on my first day was to go out for the public relations team (that already had a photo shoot well underway) and pick out flowers that would appear in the photo shoot with the models. With little instruction other then the fact that the flowers needed to be white, I was sent out not only to find appropriate flowers but also find a flower shop as no one in the office knew of the closest one. After a moment of panic I was able to find the closest flower shop with the help of a kind person on the street and return quickly with flowers that were perfect for the shoot.
On the other side of the office later that day the production team had me working on what they call “tech specs”, which are detailed packets of information used for ensuring garments are made the way they are intended. Due to their detailed nature it took a few tries to get the hang of everything that needed to be included but now I can complete them thoroughly in less then ten minutes.
Since my first day the range of tasks and responsibilities given to me has only continued to grow to the point where I could never include everything in one post! Everyday is packed with wide range of projects that can get backed up while waiting for the proper attention. Luckily the women in my office are all very understanding and are always looking for an opportunity to help me learn; otherwise so many different tasks would easily become overwhelming. I look forward to sharing more with you as my projects become more involved and I find what department I love the most (so far I am really enjoying what the PR and e-commerce girls are doing but you never know how things can change!)


Gina

1 comment:

  1. It's awesome that you get to work with such a small team, I definitely value my internship with the smaller magazine, Galore, rather than the larger Michael Kors. I do completely understand how it can be hard balancing tasks, it gets awkward when you are in the middle of something and another employee asks you to do something else. It sounds like you are getting to be involved in so many different areas of the company, which is really nice because hopefully you will see what you like the best at the end of the six months and know where to look for careers in the future!

    ReplyDelete