Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Life of an Unpaid Intern

Just four weeks into my internship and I am coming to remember the downfalls of being an unpaid intern that I experienced just a short year ago while on co-op. As a person that has been holding a job since age sixteen, it is extremely frustrating to not have the extra spending money that I am accustomed to. Sure, I might work at my retail job on day per week, but my income cannot keep up with the amount of spending that my previous 15-20 hours working a week could withstand.

After much thinking and analyzing my bank statements, I have come to the conclusion that it is time to cut down on my spending before my wallet runs empty. It’s funny how interning not only prepares you with experience for working in your field, but also for living in the real world after graduation. I know that money will be tight when I am completely on my own and that even more sacrifices will need to be made. Thankfully, I have found finance apps to download onto my phone to help manage my money and see which categories I need to lessen my spending on. For the first time in my life, I need to plan out how to balance my spending while enjoying being a college student. I am so thankful now for the fact that I have held a paying job all these years, and it has made me all that more appreciative! Unpaid internships are common to come by in the fashion industry, and although they may be hard for the time being, I know the reward in the end will be priceless. I look forward to having an income again, but for now, I am learning as much as I can interning, balancing my time, and managing my money.

1 comment:

  1. I completely feel your pain. It's very frustrating not being paid. I also have worked since a young age and it's very nice to have extra spending money. Plus living in NYC is so expensive. I am very cautious with my money now. I have cut down my spending and really think if I need it before I buy it. I'm going to start babysitting soon so I can have a little spending money. I think having a finance app is a fantastic idea! I'm going to look one up and use it.

    ReplyDelete