Tuesday, April 7, 2015

A Balancing Act


I never realized how much free time I used to have until I took on something new. When I was on co-op Junior year, I felt like my weeks flew by. I was commuting to New York Wednesday through Friday and was working at home on Tuesdays and Saturdays. I felt like I had little free time in my schedule.

Fast forward to this past February. After nearly a year back in classes, I decided I needed more work experience before graduating in June. I applied and got a job as a Merchandising Intern at Destination Maternity. I was excited and anxious about this new venture. Not only was I already working two days a week, but was also in the middle of taking six classes in Winter Term. Now I was going to be adding nine-hour work days on Monday, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I was a little unsure about how I would manage my new schedule as I began my first week at work in the beginning of February. The first week or two were a bit overwhelming, even though I loved my new intern position. I was learning so much more than I could have expected and really enjoyed working. However, I was worn out by the end of the day and then had to come home and do homework. It took a few weeks for me to get used to working full days again and had to adopt better time management skills.

Now, almost two months in to my internship I feel like I am getting into the swing of things. I am continuing to learn more within my position and am gaining more and more responsibility. I am learning how to enter purchase orders for new styles, communicating with vendors, and attending meetings for the developing collections. Not only that, but I have adapted to the busier schedule and do not feel as overwhelmed anymore. I find it funny that I thought I was busy on co-op when I wasn’t enrolled in any classes. These last few months have showed me that I can take on more work as long as I learn how to manage my time.  

2 comments:

  1. Rachel

    I have just taken on a part-time job with Nicole Miller in NY while also being a full time student and I also feel that I have no free time. However, for me I am able to relax on the weekends. It must have been very challenging for you to also work on Saturday, leaving only Sunday as free time. Do you have any advice on how to still maintain a social life while so busy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally understand the feeling of no free time. I work Monday- Friday 8-5pm and would love a day to sleep in. Most of the time though, I love being busy especially when it's work. You're getting so much great experience.

    ReplyDelete