Friday, April 17, 2015

Lost in Translation

I have learned a lot about working with different kinds of people in my time here are Drexel, and my co-op has been no exception. Everyone in the office is native to Italy, so English is their second language. This has proven to be difficult when communicating with my co-workers and my boss. But I have found that patience and good listening skills are the way to resolve this. 

Even though English is the second language they all speak fluently with only a few mistakes here and there, and now they come to me for advice and help on their language skills. I think it is nice to exchange ideas and it offers new challenges for me to learn Italian, and to discuss cultural differences.

Asking questions is another good way to resolve miscommunication, whether it is through language or just unclear instructions. My boss is very fast paced, so now I am always ready with a notebook and prepared to ask quick questions so I understand as much as I can right away, then I ask final questions for clarification after he is done.

My boss can be very demanding as well, which I am learning how to approach and prioritize my time. Today there were several tasks he needed done within an hour time, and it was complete chaos. When I was in the middle of something he needed and then asked me to do something else, I would calmly say something like “I am finishing this for you now, and will begin that when I am done”. He does not like mistakes and wants things immediately. This can also be a difficult personality to deal with, but the office secretaries told me I am dealing with him well, which I was very pleased with!

Overall, I think learning to deal with different types of people, especially bosses, is an important part of the co-op experience. Learning how to respond to people and to meet their needs is crucial in the work place and in life!





1 comment:

  1. Hi Emily,

    I can relate to your experiences in speaking with people who are not native English speakers. As part of my position I am in daily communication with vendors from China among other countries. This can be difficult when they do not speak English fluently. I try to be very clear with my emails to ensure that they do not misinterpret what I am trying to say.

    ReplyDelete