Thursday, April 23, 2015

Less Than Fashionable


One factor that can be a challenge when commuting is that you are basically stuck with whatever you bring with you. For example, if you wear rain boots to work, when you leave Philadelphia at 6:30am, and then half way through the bus ride it stops raining. This happened to me this week and I felt like I looked out of place, however I had no other option but to stay in my rain boots and act proud of my fashion choice. A way to beat this system is to bring a change of clothes or shoes with you, however this presents the next issue, which is where to store them. I always resort to my less than fashionable backpack, which can hold practically everything I own. Conversely, I always feel slightly uncomfortable working in the fashion industry and choosing accessories that are the farthest from fashionable. It isn’t fun having people in the elevators stare at me when my bag takes up an entire extra person, and I often wish that they knew I commuted so that they would be able to understand why I wear the backpack… 

3 comments:

  1. Devon, this is hilariously accurate. Although I do not commute as you do, this struggle is all too familiar. I have learned to bring a pair of black flats wherever I go as well as layer my outfit as much as possible. You really never know when this crazy weather will turn cold, warm or rainy. I love that you own your fashion choices despite the change in the weather. That is all we can do when we are faced with this situation and fashion is not about what you are wearing but HOW you are wearing it. Keep rocking those rain boots and the back pack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh commuting sometimes is the worst. It's so hard to be comfortable for the commute but fashionable and presentable for the job. The other week when it was pouring cats and dogs, I was completely unprepared and had to walk around with soaking wet socks for a whole day. It was terrible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Devon I agree! Although I live in the city, I have about a 30 minute commute on the subway to my job. I feel the same way having to bring my purse as well as my lunch bag. If I have plans to go out afterwards I also have to bring a change of clothes which requires an even bigger bag, or a backpack like you've mentioned above. One trick I have found useful is to leave a cute pair of heels or flats at your office under your desk and you can wear your sneakers or flip flops for the commute and change into your cute shoes once you are at work. This way you do not have to bring your shoes with you on your long commute!

    ReplyDelete