Thursday, April 23, 2015

Travel Days


In Philadelphia we are a little spoiled with how easy it is to get around the city. It is not very hard to learn the street names and where each one will take you. The public transportation is easily navigated and getting a taxi for a 6-block ride seems to be the norm. I have also studied abroad in London, at the London College of Fashion. After being there for three months I found the Tube (subway) to be extremely easy to navigate and even the buses could be found so effortlessly.  Getting around the city seemed to become second nature and was executed so simply.

After living in New York City for the past two weeks I have found that these easy transportation methods are not quite the same as some of the other cities that I have visited. Although I have never gotten lost or had many problems, the subway seems rather extravagant and a little confusing to figure out. Yes I could call an Uber or a taxi to go places but the prices are significantly the higher than the ones I am used to in Philadelphia. There are many apps that I have found to be so helpful to me in learning the subway system and how to use it but what I have found very interesting is that walking sometimes seems to be the best way to get to many destinations in the city. After speaking with my coworkers and many other people that I know that live in the city, it seems that if you can walk you should. Many New Yorkers have told me this but I wanted to find out for myself. If I had been working here in the winter I don’t know if walking around to my destinations would have even crossed my mind but now that the weather is getting nicer and the days are longer it seems appealing, so I tried it out for myself. I will admit that walking can take longer and I would not usually do this in Philadelphia so this is new for me!

The grocery store seemed to be about a mile away from my apartment so I decided to try it out. I walked to the grocery store and was shocked that the walk seemed to be less of a hassle as one may think and was actually relaxing. It gave me a chance to find things along the way that I may want to stop by or visit in the future. It forces me to find my way around the city. Although I did use an app to show me directions it helped me to get used to the area and see the hidden gems that sometimes one may pass over when using the subway or a taxi. Since then I have started to walk many places so see what I find. Of course I do not walk too far and especially not in the rain, but when I can I always walk to my destination. I have found many stores, restaurants, and even views that I may not have found otherwise. Below is a view I found of Hoboken skyline and after a long day at work a view like that is so amazing to end your day!
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it is a lot easier to get around in Philly. Yesterday I was looking for an apartment, which is in Union City that is in NJ just across the water. I was running late and tried to get a cab however, none of them would take me and then I realized that they would have to pay for the toll. I ended up walking to the port authority and taking the bus, which was less than glamorous. It is much harder to get around in NY especially because it is so much bigger than Philadelphia.

    ReplyDelete