Monday, April 20, 2015

Buying

Things are finally beginning to slow down at work. Thank god, because I am exhausted. On Friday my boss and I finally got down to do some buying. During my training days, I watched my boss and the then co-op student do the buying. I helped out with buying when I could while I was training, but Friday was the first time I really sat down to buy. There's a lot that goes into buying. You have to look at a lot of numbers and the big picture. Buying is extremely important to sales. You can't over buy or you will have to discount the item in the future. If you under buy, then you are missing sales. The bottom line is with buying you try and hit the right number of stock. You want just enough that everyone has their size but you don't have to discount any. When buying you have to look at what has sold the best, how long you've had the item, how much you have on hand, and what has the best sell through. You can't just look at one of these categories. You have to look how the item did as a whole. It took my a while to grasp this concept but once I got it, it all made sense. My boss really encouraged me and said I did great. I was really happy that I liked to buy and I was good at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment