Friday, April 24, 2015

Dressing for Co-Op

Co-Op

Co-Op by emilybakerrr featuring a sequin skirt




When it comes to dressing for co-op, my office is pretty professional. I have seen a mix of business casual and business professional, so sometimes picking out an appropriate outfit can be difficult. Since I work in a government building, I lean toward the business professional end. I thought I would make a list of my co-op wardrobe essentials and what I’ve purchased to have a variety of professional options and still add my own flare.

My favorite stores to shop at for work clothes are Loft, H&M, and Old Navy. Yes, Old Navy. I feel like Old Navy has a bad connotation to fashion folk, but I have found so many good pieces there for amazing prices. If you really compare a store like Gap to Old Navy, the quality is generally still there but for a much better price.

Pants

I really like the cropped pants, especially in the warmer weather. These Pixies from Old Navy are more like a chino material, so they are light-weight and come in every color of the rainbow. I kept it neutral with grey, light blue, navy, and vertical stripes (they also have adorable prints and polka dots!).

I also like to have a pair or khakis and black pants. I have a Loft pair that is checker print to add a little interest but still have a neutral palette.

Blazers
I have invested in black, tan, and navy blazers that can go with virtually anything. H&M had nice quality blazers for around $30/$35. I like to have some fitted and some more straight cut for a casual "boyfriend" look.

Shirts
Basics are always my go to. I love a crisp white button up, and I also bought a more relaxed blue button up that is casual but still put together. All of these go great with a blazer or by itself. I also make sure to have a few different color options of tanks and short sleeves to put under a blazer on hotter days.

Skirts/Dresses
This one is tricky for me to pull off in the office, because I feel like I need to wear tights or leggings with any skirt or dress. Everyone is usually pretty covered up, so I stay on the modest side. Depending on your company culture you can pick up on this and notice what everyone else typically wears.

Shoes
Flats, flats, flats. This is another area where you can add some interest. I bought some adorable green peep-toe flats from DSW and they are so comfy! I am also in love with my nude tone pointy toe flats that go with everything. I also have a black pair and a pair of heels, but I have yet to wear them! If you are a pro heel walker then by all means go for it!

Accessories
I personally do not wear much jewelry, just a small necklace or a few rings usually, but this is somewhere you can add some personality, depending on your style.


Hopefully this is helpful for anyone in a business professional office. I love mixing up my outfit, because it can be difficult to stay true to your style in a business setting. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree, there is a fine line of what is appropriate but you still want to dress fashionable. I agree when wearing skirts or dresses it may be hard to get used to wearing them without tights or leggings. In the summer you could try wearing maci skirts or dresses so you still have a dress or skirt on but it is modest and still fashionable as well!

    ReplyDelete