Tuesday, May 12, 2015

$$$


When moving to New York City, I already knew that the city was expensive. I did not know how expensive it really would be until I actually started living and working here. I even was lucky enough to get a paid co-op but I ended up getting a second job at a high end boutique to support my busy NYC lifestyle. Even getting a metro card for the subway is $116.50. That is a lot of money for a college student! Finding things as cheap as they are in Philadelphia is almost impossible in some cases.
Although the city is expensive, I don’t mind because being in New York is so amazing. I have found some tricks to getting around the expensive NYC lifestyle.

1.       Always have your Drexel ID and ask if there is a student discount, many places that you think wouldn’t have student discounts actually do.

2.       In my previous post I mentioned walking. I know some days we are tired and don’t feel like walking but when the weather is nice, opt to walk home or to your destinations instead of taking a cab or the subway.

3.       Keep track of your expenses. Have a budget sheet and really do your best to keep track of what you are spending. This helps you to know if you can get the shoes you wanted or take that cab if you are tired instead of walking.

4.       Many people don’t think of this, but try to put at least 10% of your paycheck into your savings account. I have found that even though 10% is not much, it adds up. It will allow you to have extra money in case of emergency. It is also nice to have some money in your savings for when you are finished co-op and go back to classes.
 
Also, New York City is so beautiful, there are really cool places to relax and kind of get away from the busy city streets. Going to the Parks (Central Park, Battery Park etc.) lets you can experience the city without spending money and hang out in the nice weather. This picture is from Battery Park. This is right near where I live and you could even get an ice-cream cone on the way from a food truck without spending too much!
 
 

2 comments:

  1. These are great tips! I'm planning on moving to NYC in September and I will definitely keep these in mind:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I am graduating I am planning on keeping my Drexel ID and staying as youthful as possible so I can have student discounts for years to come! Also I love walking and it is such a great exercise especially when you can't go to the gym!

    ReplyDelete