Thursday, May 21, 2015

Hawaiian Cuisine

Normally, when thinking of Hawaii you would not think about food. However, the Hawaiian cuisine here is just as wonderful as the island itself. There are two ways to go when choosing food here: extremely healthy or extremely unhealthy.

Some of the most famous Hawaiian foods include Spam, which is a salty canned pre-cooked meat product. It is so famous here that they even have a Spam festival. However, I have opted out of this Hawaiian delight simply because of the description itself. I have tried Poke, a raw tuna salad that is quite popular. Its not one of my favorite things but you should definitely give it a try when traveling to the islands.

My favorite healthy snack is also very popular, the Acai Bowl. They almost taste like ice cream. Often served with mashed Acai and granola, honey, strawberries, blueberries, and bananas lining the top. I always look forward to heading to a little local spot right by my office that is known for having the best Acai bowls on the island.

Now to the unhealthy stuff. Just like in Philly food trucks are extremely popular here. I traveled to the North Shore to try the famous Mikes Huli Huli chicken truck that was seen on Diners, Drive In, and Dives. This had to be one of my favorite meals in Hawaii. All the food is made right in front of you with seasonings filled with garlic. Another popular item here is Tater Tot Nachos. A little local bar serves them the best along with truffle french fries with pepperoni. Trust me, the calories are worth it. Almost ever restaurant you are given they will only give you chopsticks, which forced me to finally learn how to use them.
Mikes Huli Huli Chicken Truck 


Tater Tot Nachos, Truffle Fries, & Steak


1 comment:

  1. The acai bowl sounds amazing! They have a shop with a similar concept where I'm from in Boulder and it was so delicious! Also interesting that they use chopsticks!

    ReplyDelete