Thursday, May 21, 2015

Workaholic

If you ask any of my friends, they would gladly describe me as a workaholic. I love being busy, sleep seems more of a nuisance (one that I don't partake in as often as is probably recommended), and it's unusual if my plate isn't so full that it's almost spilling over. So working 30+ hours a week in a different state along with a full schedule of classes and (attempting) a healthy social life didn't seem that out of character for me. There have definitely been setbacks, challenges and tribulations in the past four and a half months of this hectic schedule, but I've really enjoyed it. At the end of the day the commute, the stress, the multiple all-nighters, have been worth it. And so with the end-date of my internship now only two weeks away, I'm left wondering what life will be like with this crazy concept of "free time." (I say this while acknowledging I'm taking 20 credits summer term....so take it with a grain of salt.)
Working has become an integral part of who I am. It is my favorite part of the week and its sudden absence will surely be jarring. And this type of work specifically, the corporate office type I mean, has been so much more fulfilling than any other part-time job I've held. Ok, it's a PR company and we're not curing cancer or anything, but at the end of the day I'm doing meaningful work that affects the world, even if that part of the world is just the fashion economy. I can't be too dramatic as I am very fortunate to be on co-op fall term, so it's only three months. But I think that is an interesting part of Drexel; you are a student taking on real-life responsibilities and routines, at least for part of your college experience. I think it positions us uniquely in the job market, but I also think it makes it harder, at least for me, to return to just classes. I'm looking forward to the next two weeks, dreading the last time I have to run out of work to catch the bus, and anticipating an awesome co-op in fall.

2 comments:

  1. I am in the same boat as I work 25.5 hour weeks and have 12 credits of classes. I also try to balance my social life and that is the hardest part to me. My friends don't really understand that I am busy and don't have as much time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that having time to socialize is also the hardest part. I'm currently working around 40hrs a week and taking classes which doesn't seem to leave much time for anything else. I love being busy but it is hard to keep in touch with friends when you don't really have any free time.

    ReplyDelete