Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Inventory: Surprisingly Enjoyable

During my time working at Knit Wit I have experienced many aspects of the store, but one of the most interesting is receiving inventory. At times, this area gets extremely busy because of delivery times coming too close with pick-up times. There are 3 Knit Wit locations; Center City, Bryn Mawr and Margate. Center City is where all of the inventory is sent to from a variety of brands and from there it is allocated to the 3 stores.

Helping out in this department is fast paced and very repetitive, especially when there are large amounts of merchandise to unpack, hang up and tag. Since I am technically on the sales floor, my job continues after tagging the merchandise. After the inventory is allocated, it is put onto it's specific rack. I take what is on Center City's rack and bring it up to the sales floor. I remove any extra tags from the clothing and then merchandise it throughout the store.

I enjoy this task because I get to be first in line to see the new product that we received and it is always exciting to peak through it all. I also found it really cool that I was experiencing a business allocating, talking about runs and what colors should go to which store and which fabrics should go where. All of these terms that I was hearing were ones that I had learned in Visual Merchandising and I was glad to be able to understand this process and put what I learned in school to use at work.



1 comment:

  1. That's very cool to get to use what we learn in the D&M program in real life! I know I always love making that connection. That's also fun that you get to help make those business decisions - nothing like actually doing something to really learn it!

    ReplyDelete