Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Three Things to Remember

Now that a lot of students are already out for summer, new interns have been starting at Lividini for the summer season. It’s nice to have some extra help again, because the other winter/spring interns finished a couple weeks ago. As the intern who has been here the longest, it’s my job to help the new interns acclimate and learn how things at Lividini work. In light of that, I’ve been thinking of my three top pieces of advice I would give to them and all new interns really.

1.     Go with the flow!
At Lividini we get a list of  to-do’s each morning, but that can change in an instant. If some new pressing project appears, that comes first and while you may think your morning is going to be spent on a press recap, you could end up running around the city on an emergency errand.

2.     Ask questions…a lot of questions.
The only way you are ever going to learn to do your job or how the company runs is to ask questions. A lot of them. It can be really intimidating to ask your boss, but I know that from my experience it is a lot better to ask than do the job wrong and have to re-do it. Also if you’re nervous to bother your boss, ask another intern first.

3.     Ask for challenges
If you are improving quickly and find yourself finishing tasks early, ask for a new challenge! Every time I finish something quickly, I let my bosses know that I’m done and ask for more work. This shows my work ethic and competence to quickly and efficiently finish tasks. Because of this, my bosses have become comfortable assigning me new and challenging projects so that I learn more, and they get some extra help. But they would never have done that if I hadn’t taken the initiative.



No comments:

Post a Comment