Thursday, October 10, 2013

A Walk on Madison Ave.

Today on my walk home, I was taking a moment to reflect on all the magical experiences I have had since this summer. My walks home are my Zen, a time where I can catch up on phone calls with Mom, breathe in the semi fresh air, and most importantly window shop. This time I took a route up Madison Ave., and I know that I am so fortunate to have this be the case! I took this way specifically to walk by the luxurious apartments, peak into Tom Ford’s flagship store, and subconsciously buy chocolate croissants from the boulangeries. On a side note: have you ever passed by Ralph Lauren’s store on Madison, it is HUGE, I mean that store literally takes up half the avenue! Anyway, as I am meandering down the street, I look back on my times in NYC and wonder why in the world I would ever leave. Sorry Drexel, it is going to take a lot of mental preparation to go back to you!

Lafayette 148 Retail Store
Photo Courtesy of Deidre Schoo for the New York Times
In my walking daze, I remind myself of how everything I have been exposed to so far has simply made me happy. It is now my fourth week at Saks Fifth Avenue, and I haven’t gotten approval from Human Resources to write about co-op just yet; however, I love it, and the rest of this sentence will have to be continued. Before this, I was part of an internship program at Lafayette 148, a splendid company to work for. I created a network of  “family members” and I belonged to the Visual/Store Planning department. One day on the job I experienced something unique; the company was in the works of building a VIP luxury retail store in their SOHO corporate office. My team was responsible for the back-end planning/managing of the construction. I ended up being included in a construction meeting with the CEO, architects, and contractors; I did not foresee this because I thought the closest I would come to construction was that of a garment. But there I was in this completely empty but magnificent 4,000 sq. ft. space with a view, that was planned to turn into an elite-shopping destination. It felt so gratifying to be in this moment and watch the company take such a leap of faith with their first retail store in the United States. In this meeting I saw the CEO of Lafayette 148 dreams come true, and I wondered if I would be spending the height of my career in a similar way. If you get a chance, please take a peak at Eric Wilson’s New York Times article here about Lafayette 148 as a new addition to New York’s retail scene and naming the company “fashion’s quietest success story.”

My desk at Lafayette 148
I enjoy living my life at this city’s pace, even though NYC has a mind of it’s own, sometimes you just have to just go with it, and the experiences will become worthwhile. I found that out quickly with my internship at Lafayette 148, and I wouldn't have changed it for the world. Whatever path you take to walk home use the opportunity to reflect, it keeps your mind clear and your drive going.  Also, remember to always stop for dessert along the way!


No comments:

Post a Comment