Monday, October 7, 2013

Curiosity Didn't Kill the Cat


This week has been filled with preparations for the premiere of my boss’s show Million Dollar Shoppers. As her social media manager, it is my job to get the word out about the show as much as possible. This responsibility is somewhat nerve-racking and exciting all in one. As I am busy tweeting, pinning, and instagraming under Amy’s handles, she has been attending press events. Unfortunately due to time conflicts, I was not able to accompany Amy to an event this past Thursday. Although I was upset about this missed opportunity, I know there will be more in the future. At the event Marie Claire interviewed her, along with the New York Post and Women’s Wear Daily. Having these publications promote the show is the most effective way to get the word out, as they have larger audiences with an interest in fashion. To read WWD's article regarding the show click here.

In the world of social media, there is never a break and a moment of silence. There is always something that Amy and I can be doing to promote the show. As a team, we collaborate the most effective ways to bring light to the show. Through this process I have realized how well my boss and I work together. When managing someone else's media platforms, it is important to imbed their voice into your writings. Whether it be through tone or humor, staying true to their personality is important. The way I look at it, this task is somewhat like acting. A great actress is one who fully invests herself into the role of her character. In my work, I try to leave behind my specific tone, and be Amy. At first I found this to be quite difficult, especially since my boss has a distinct humor different than my own. However, within time it has become easier, just like anything!

This opportunity has taught me to always keep an open mind. Prior to attending Drexel, I always thought I had a clear idea of what I wanted to do within the fashion industry. After this experience my eyes have been opened to the different routes my career could take. I never imagined gaining a connection with Lifetime Television through this opportunity. Overall, this experience has shown me to always remain curious and open, because you never know where your destiny falls at the end of your journey.

 “We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths” Walt Disney.

1 comment:

  1. Jaclyn, I actually had the opportunity to watch Million Dollar Shoppers on Wednesday night! It has been great to hear how much you have been working on the show, and how your hard work has been reflected. Some people have actually talked to me about how they have watched the show, and I make sure to say how you much are involved. They are always intrigued and are shocked to hear how focused Drexel students are, and your commitment to the show and to Amy is no different. I'll keep watching!

    ReplyDelete