Thursday, October 3, 2013

The Commuter’s Life


Some might just call me crazy, hauling myself two hours each way back and forth between New York and Philly three days a week, with the other two days being spent in class from 9-5 trying to finish my degree. However, such is life in the modern day world, where securing a job in your desired field is just about as difficult as getting a taxi on a weekend night in Time Square (which is impossible, might I add). So off I go each day, waking up at 5:30 AM, driving to the train, hopping on the 7:29 AM NJ transit express to New York Penn Station, and walking to work.  Quite a far cry from the twelve minute walk I had experienced while on CO-OP living in New York.



One might wonder how in the world I ended up taking on this responsibility. I had just finished my six month CO-OP at ELLE Magazine, which is a wonderful publication. It was a fabulous experience! From that opportunity I made many connections within the field, which lead to several internship offers in the fall. I fell in love with one of the offers I had received and knew that it would be worth the uncomfortable experience which commuting would present me with. This has brought me here, to Allure magazine, another brilliant publication which will hopefully bring me one step closer to my career goals.



So I will be reporting to you from the heart of the Magazine industry, at Conde Nast, for the next four months. I have a lot of really incredible responsibilities here. I sit with the editors and get to watch them, as well as help with the creative process of pulling together a magazine.  I get to go on photo shoots with the Creative Director whenever they are in NYC, as well as go on market appointments at designers with the editors.



So yes, perhaps I am a little crazy, but I’m hoping it’s all worth it. After all, the best things in life are neither free nor easy!


x
Michelle

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, I can not imagine commuting to NYC three days a week. I am from New York and literally dread taking NJT whenever I plan on going home. It takes a lot of motivation to do what you are doing and I really admire that. It seems as though you know exactly what you want and aren't going to let anything get in the way of it. I am really excited to hear more about your experience working at Allure Magazine, it sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, like Diana, can not imagine doing that commute, so kudos to you. The two internships you are talking about seem great, not only because they are interesting magazines but also because you actually are able to learn in them. I am jealous that you will be able to see all the photo shoots happen as that is something that I have always wanted to see.

    ReplyDelete