Thursday, October 3, 2013

A Night at the Gala

On September 19, 2013 I attended New York City Ballet’s Annual Fall Gala, which is an evening marked by three world premier ballets with custom designs from the industry’s most talented fashion designers. Choreographers Angelin Preljocal, Benjamin Millepied, and Justin Peck presented their own original work partnering with acclaimed designers Olivier Theysken, Prabal Gurung, and Iris Van Harpen.

Photo Courtesy of New York Magazine's TheCut
“WOW,” says Sarah Jessica Parker as she gracefully walks up the steps of David S. Koch Theater in Lincoln Center, alongside Prabal Gurung and Olivier Theysken. I happened to be in the theater at that moment to witness these artists walk to their seats. Sarah Jessica Parker is the gala’s Event Chairman and every year she makes an appearance to kick off the new season in style! She was wearing the most beautiful ballerina gown dubbed "A Tale of Two Minds" by Lauren Valenti in her interview with Sarah Jessica Parker for ELLE Magazine, for which Gurung designed the satin top and the ball skirt by Theysken. Other attendees that night included Natalie Portman, Drew Barrymore, and Tory Burch. Even though I have been in New York since June, it took a night like this to have reality kick and fully appreciate how lucky I am to be living in this city.

New York is the epicenter of fashion and dance, this ballet combined my favorite forms of artistry. I could go on and on about how amazing the performance was, the choreographers and designers had an unbelievable chemistry. Structural fashion designer Iris Van Harpen worked with architect Mark Happel to translate her sketches into .03 mm translucent plastic chips, that were pieced together to showcase her version of a tutu. Van Harpen says in an interview with Rebecca Millzoff for New York Magazine's The Cut "They all catch the light differently," such when the dancer moves, "it will look almost strobophobic." The best way I could describe her designs is "McQueen on steroids!" The ballet was quick, athletic, and agile! When the dancers appeared on stage, they transformed into the vision of choreographer Benjamin Millepeid, most widely known for his work in the movie Black Swan. Millepeid explains in his interview with Rebecca Millzoff for New York Magazine's The Cut that his "music is the guidance," and his piece proved just that, every beat was paired with the perfect step.

Sarah Jessica Parker and I
Not only did I have an amazing time and had the privilege to meet Sarah Jessica Parker, but I was reminded of my first passion: dance. I attended the School of American Ballet, the school of NYCB when I was only fourteen years old. The dancers I saw that night on stage were my fellow classmates, it gave me the biggest rush to see these collaborations come to life.  I would really recommend everyone on co-op in New York City to set aside one night to watch a ballet, even though these next couple of months will fly by, it is one experience that I guarantee will keep you inspired. 

3 comments:

  1. Ana this sounds amazing! I think it is incredible that you had the opportunity to watch your fellow classmates dance at such a show. You are completely taking advantage of what New York and the Drexel co op program has to offer. I can't wait to go to a show, and maybe I'll be lucky enough to meet Sarah Jessica Parker too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Allegra! I think you should definitely come to New York this holiday season, I heard Nutcracker is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I add another WOW! to this post. What an amazing experience.

    ReplyDelete