Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Are you excited? Because you should be

What a different feeling it is to be taking classes than it is to be in the working world. My schedule as a student is significantly different than when I was working, now I have classes Tuesdays through Thursdays, which I am really lucky and thankful for, as I have a 4-day weekend each week. While on Co-op I had a full-time job working at least 40 hours a week, 9-530 pm Monday through Friday. When I was working, the days did go by fast however by the end of the day I could say that my day had purpose, stimulation and that I accomplished many of my goals. While taking classes I feel as though my days have less purpose and that time flies, but I do not have much to show for it.

After working I now have an altered state of mind that time is money and I see the value in every hour, and much of my days at school I do not see significant value in. Obviously I do my work to excel, pass my classes, and try and get the most out of each course that I can take with me, however, going on Co-op has made me see that working is where I am ready to be. Now that I have been immersed into that world I feel like I am being held back by being in school, which is ironic because the value of my degree is extremely important in society's eyes. I try to remind myself each day that I should be enjoying this time as a student, this is the most free time I will have for years to come, and pretty soon I will be graduating, and this is probably the last time (fingers crossed!) I will be subjected to higher education. I absolutely love to learn, explore and expose myself to new things, however, I thrive in an atmosphere that is hands-on, one that I cannot learn from a book but rather challenge myself through experience and exposure. I look forward to the days where the world is my classroom, but for right now, I have to focus on what is right in front of me, and right now it is class.

I still am able to work for my Co-op roughly 10-15 hours a week, a true blessing because if I were to be out of the loop for a year I really would be at a disadvantage if the opportunity of me returning after college presents itself. My job right now entails planning, designing and creating all of the graphics for my Department and for the band we manage, Colour of London. As we begin to take on more artists, I cannot stress how lucky I am to have been able to experience and witness the growth of the Department's expansion, being a crucial member in the development and getting my foot in the door for my career in a place where my knowledge is needed and appreciated. I look forward to the future with my team, but it is great that I am able to do my work as a contractor from a remote location while at school- I do not think there has been an instance in my life more than this one where timing could not have worked out any more perfectly, any more in my favor. To everyone on Co-op, enjoy your experience, make the most of it, welcome every opportunity, and BUILD relationships with everyone! This is the start of your career, be excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment