Monday, October 28, 2013

Make It Work

With Dom at Moore College of Art and Design

Make it work. Tim Gunn’s famous mantra was the only thought running through my mind as I approached Moore College of Art and Design.  Today at Nicole Miller, my coworkers and I had  the opportunity to attend a special event for Season 12 Project Runway Winner, Dom Streater, a Philadelphia native.  Though I have enjoyed all of my days at work, attending this event and meeting Dom has been the most exciting experience so far. 

Throughout season 12 of Project Runway, I was captivated by Dom’s wearable fashion, unique, handmade textiles; and humbling personality.  After hearing her speak, it is clear that Dom is not just another victim of fame, but the same adorable person as she is on television.  She talked briefly about her experience on the show, but also expressed her passion for keeping fashion in Philadelphia. "There is so much fashion opportunity in Philadelphia," she said; and plans on manufacturing her clothing locally. Her determination and handwork is admirable, and I am excited to see her grow as a designer.  When her clothes are available to purchase, I will be the first in line!

Today was a memorable moment (luckily, I captured this moment with a picture). I not only met a winner, but I gained an appreciation for the reputation of Nicole Miller Philadelphia, the Drexel co-op program, and the exciting opportunities working provides. I look forward to these next 5 months.  

3 comments:

  1. Ah, this sounds awesome! I still have not watched the Season 12 of Project Runway, now that I read your post it is on the top of my list. Dom sounds like an awesome designer can't wait to look her up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allegra, I had other friends who went to Moore on Monday and saw Dom and as a religious Project Runway watcher, I am seriously envious. Although i was rooting for Justin, Dom is an amazing designer with the coolest design asthetic. This must have been such a fun opportunity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved Justin too! He definitely showed the most improvement throughout the season. I am sure there will be plenty of opportunities to see her again considering she is staying in Philly!

      Delete