Wednesday, October 16, 2013

INSIDERS PERSPECTIVE


Moving to New York City is a huge investment. The cost of living in Manhattan is extremely high and I have started to notice the large price tags. Although working for a major company is a great experience and I am so fortunate to have this opportunity, the major down fall is that I am an unpaid intern. Contrary to a normal job, I am essentially paying to work as opposed to being paid to work. When I factor in rent, transportation, and college tuition it seems that I am on the loosing end of the spending scale. However, my company does compensate the interns by allowing us to go to sample sales where items are significantly discounted.

Today was the first sample sale that we were allowed to attend. Unfortunately, we were unaware of the sale until after it was concluded. Our department head failed to inform us of the sale – I believe to be unintentionally. Although it was accidental it was frustrating because admission into the sample sale is truly the only type of reparation that interns receive. I felt as though I was being deprived of an opportunity.

Speaking of opportunities, I thought that because my internship was unpaid I should attempt to find a retail job, and what better place other than for one of the company stores. It is shocking to me that now every time I see an a company store or product I react differently to them then I would have prior to my work experience. The reaction is not necessarily good but not necessarily bad. It is almost like the feeling of that first Christmas after you find out that Santa isn’t real – all of the mystery seems to me gone. The charm and the appeal seem to be so obvious to me now. It stinks! 


3 comments:

  1. Devon, I really think it is a great idea to try finding a retail job at Michael Kors. It seems you are really connecting with the brand, and why not work at a place that you love! If you decide to work there you should definitely blog about your experience. I would love to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw Devon I'm sure as you continue to work there you will get more excited! Especially when you see the full life cycle of the product from design to retail

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trust me there will be plenty of sample sales! Always are! Also if you are looking for more the below website posts different sales daily that are going on in the city so you can get your fashion fix.
    http://ny.racked.com/tags/sample-sales

    ReplyDelete